The TMA staff is hired through the Pacific Cooperative Studies Unit (PCSU) of the University of Hawai‘i. Staff is administratively based at Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park in the Resources Management Division and at the Hilo Branch office of the Division of Forestry and Wildlife.
Project funding comes from TMA members and outside grants.
Current and past funders include:
- DLNR Watershed Partnership Program Grant
- Kamehameha Schools
- US Fish and Wildlife Service
- US Forest Service
- National Fish and Wildlife Foundation
- Wildlife Conservation Society
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Museums Connect
- National Park Service
TMA project funding is primarily managed by PCSU and the Hawaiian Silversword Foundation, a 501(c)(3) organization.